Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States
Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.


Monday, July 11, 2005

Deck (Help Me, the Deck)

So yesterday I thought it would take me four or five hours to use Brightener and Cleaner on the whole deck - latticework and stairs included. Um, no. It was more like nine hours, and four years subtracted from the end of my life. Then today I thought it would take me between seven and nine hours to put the tinted sealant on the whole works. I don't know why, after yesterday, I trusted my powers of estimation. I started at 7:30 (setup and pounding down the nails driven upward by wear and winter weather) and stopped at about 5:30. Notice I said stopped.
The photo at left is the stairs, before.




The photo at right is the stairs, after about six hours of work on just them:










The photos below are the latticework, before and after. Why so long? I thought I'd be using my dad's power painter a lot more than I did. It turns out that while it is exceptionally helpful in speeding up things like lattice and other vertical surfaces, it's not much good for horizontal ones. Tomorrow, I invest in the attachment that makes it work better for things like...decks.



IT BETTER NOT RAIN.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would never let my wife work out in the sun, stainning deck, and do all those hard labor stuff.

BTW - Did you use semi-transparent stain? I use that a few years ago and had to re-stain the who damn deck a year later.

FrenchDip

July 13, 2005 2:15 PM  
Blogger PTW said...

I didn't use stain at all; I used a tinted weatherproofer. Behr Premium Something-or-Other. If it's no good in a year, I swear I am ripping out the deck and building a new one from scratch, out of maintenance-free materials!

July 14, 2005 6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home