Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States
Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.


Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Dilemma

Okay, this is annoying. I have my eye on this office building that is going up, essentially in my neighborhood, as a potential place to open my therapy practice this fall. Look, it's nice:



It's intriguing because it's so close to where I live, and because the fact that it's being built now means (according to the website) that they'll customize a space for me. Perfect. So I called the number on the sign in front of the building and discovered it's being built by Manley Brothers Construction. So? So, the Manleys gave as much money as they are allowed to give to W in the last election, and one of them drives around in a Humvee with a "Manley" license plate.

All right, so my issue with Humvees isn't based on anything more than thinking it's obnoxious to drive around in a vehicle that screams "conspicuous consumption," but the campaign contributions bother me. Scooter put it this way: if I rent there, I'll be contributing to the personal fortunes of people who financially assist people who keep sending other people to fight in ridiculous wars, thereby ensuring myself a client base. There are lots of office buildings around, and maybe I have to pick one that isn't quite so pretty or quite so close to my home in order not to violate the principle that prevents Scooter and me from shopping at Walmart. It's easier with Walmart, because Walmart sucks, and we didn't go there much anyway, (but once we knew the executives' contribution behaviors, we chose not to go there, ever, even if it was convenient in the moment).

Pretty building. Dang Manleys.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you rent a facility do some home work The cost of Utilities. Electric, gas, water, sewer, garbage, telephone. Security, What part of utilities you pay for common space. These can add up to quite a bit. If I can help let me know. You will be on commercial rates, which are higher than residential. John

May 25, 2005 6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home