Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States
Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.


Saturday, July 23, 2005

Tips for Parents (or: God Has Time for That?)

Recently at Blackhawk park, I overheard one of the women there with her kids talking to a group f women about trying a tactic about which she'd read in a parenting magazine, designed to get kids to carry their clean clothing from the laundry to their rooms: you get each kid her/his own plastic storage container, put the clean, folded laundry into the appropriate container, and have the kids do the rest. This woman complained that the kids didn't like to do this, because the containers were too hard to carry up the steps. Then she had a moment of divine inspiration: handled paper grocery bags! She said the kids love it. When the other moms in the group expressed wonder at her ingenuity, she became modest and said "God really blessed me with this idea." She was completely serious. I think God may also give her gardening tips and advice regarding car maintenance.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to say that God appears to be a bit of a micromanager these days - really a waste of omnipotence when you get right down to it. I'm starting to get the impression that God's just phoning it in at this point, not really bringing his/her/its "A" game to the table....

July 24, 2005 4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with Kyle on the micromanaging issue. And I would like to ask - what ever happened to setting expectations for your children? While growing up, I had chores and I did them. My parents didn't negotiate with me on whether I needed a pretty laundry basket or grocery bag in order to get something done. Isnt' that the whole point of good parenting? Teaching your children responsiblity? Heck, I always tell folks I had my kid so that I never have to wash dishes ever again!!!
Perhaps God was too busy working on his article about what artistic things you can do with dryer lint for the next Martha Stewart Living to pass that bit of advice on.

July 26, 2005 9:01 AM  
Blogger PTW said...

I'm pretty sure God would have told this woman to use green-friendly, reuseable grocery bags, so she didn't have to get new ones every time a kid broke a handle. It must have been Satan giving her this idea. Duh.

July 26, 2005 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home