Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States
Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.


Monday, August 22, 2005

Road Rage

I was driving on 35E southbound and stumbled into unexpected construction (though I suppose none should ever be unexpected here, now) yesterday afternoon. There were clear signs warning drivers that the left lane was closed ahead, for at least two miles before the lane actually ended. Right, that means nothing, and while if in the car alone I would move over slightly to block the cretins from zooming past the line of socialized, polite, responsible drivers, I won't do that when Eryn is in the car with me. Instead, it was with some amusement that I watched a man driving a station wagon pulling a speed boat go past me in the left lane (long after it was obvious the lane was closed), become apparently confused, pull partly onto the shoulder, go ahead again, wander into the left lane, back onto the shoulder, into the left lane, and so forth. I wasn't moving, so his .12 mph didn't get him very far ahead of me. He was still doing this when another car - WI license plates - came barreling up behind him and then stopped sharply. The twenty-something behind the wheel and the woman with him were gesturing wildly and seemed to be yelling. Okay, they are cretins and they want the confused person in front of them to get out of their way so they can continue to their More Important Than Everyone Else destination in their own private lane, then cut in at the last moment and slow traffic down longer. But their gesturing quickly took on a truly desperate look, and I wondered whether something was wrong, instead of wrong with them. The person in front of them was acting still stranger, and I said "What is that guy doing?" TO ERYN. Then this happened:

Guy: [Absolutely frantic hand waving, lots of yelling in my direction]
Woman: [Same behavior]
Me: "I can't hear you, your window is up" gesture.
Guy: [Rolls down window, shrieks] "What did you say to me? WHAT DID YOU FUCKING SAY TO ME?!"
Me: I said "What is THAT guy doing?" [I actually pointed to the car in front of the shrieking guy]
Woman: WHAT THE FUCK?!
Guy: I'M FUCKING DRIVING ON THE FUCKING ROAD!
Woman: Fuck!
Me: [Stunned smile.] Fine, whatever.
Guy: WHY DON'T YOU FUCKING KEEP YOUR FUCKING MOUTH SHUT?!
Me: You're frightening. [roll up window]

What was I going to do? I talked to him because I thought something was going on. I mean, other than his having a huge tantrum. I can't imagine it would have done any good to explain more completely that I hadn't even been talking about him or that, furthermore, I had been talking to my two-year-old, because I'm pretty sure this guy was looking for someone on whom to unleash his The-World-Is-Inconveniencing-Me wrath.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Eck said...

Yikes! I can't believe they were taking their rage out on you, who had nothing to do with any of it. That is terrible.

I can't stand the people who zoom down an empty lane of traffic when the road is obviously closed.

August 22, 2005 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the hell?? You should have done some EMDR on his ass!

August 23, 2005 6:32 AM  
Blogger PTW said...

Yeah, that would have helped...start waving my fingers in front of his face and saying "stay with that..."

August 23, 2005 8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time (hope there isn't one) call the cops on your cell.

August 24, 2005 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home